Moonlit Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOONLIT CHATMOONLIT CHAT  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Links
Gallery
How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism Empty
World Clock

How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
StarPhoenix
Admin
Admin
StarPhoenix

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism   How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Shamanism
–noun
1. the animistic religion of northern Asia, embracing a belief in powerful spirits that can be influenced only by shamans.
Back to top Go down
Arimesis

Arimesis

Male
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism   How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:56 am

This definition places shamanism entirely in northern Asia? There is a rich tradition of shamanism on the north and south American continents also. Native American shamans were the medicine men of their tribes, and the aboriginal cultures of south America still practice shamanism.

My father, who was of Native bloodline, studied shamanism in south America while a merchant marine during World War II. I entered my path at a very young age due to his teaching and his way of life.
Back to top Go down
Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

Male
Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism   How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 12:26 am

The term started there Ari. It has been used to describe the practices in other cultures due to the similarities. It is akin to calling ANYONE that practices magick witches. Or, the idea behind Gnostisism. There are many different types of shamanism. But they are similar enough to fall under one umbrella. One of those things that the first name stuck, and it's usefull to just lump all of the practiciners under that name. The similarities far outweigh the differences.
bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
lalaland

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism   How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Just something i'd like to share. My local new age shop held a shamans circle today and we were guided to a meditative state to meet our spiritual guides. I saw a child though...but not much else. Some of the rest were able to really connect with their guides!
Back to top Go down
Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

Male
Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism   How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Well, I know that I for one would be intrested in hearing how that develops and all. Keep us posted.

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism   How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Dictionary.com Defines Shamanism
Page 1 of 1