Moonlit Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOONLIT CHATMOONLIT CHAT  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Links
Gallery
How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions Empty
World Clock

How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
StarPhoenix
Admin
Admin
StarPhoenix

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions   How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Buddhism
–noun
a religion, originated in India by Buddha (Gautama) and later spreading to China, Burma, Japan, Tibet, and parts of southeast Asia, holding that life is full of suffering caused by desire and that the way to end this suffering is through enlightenment that enables one to halt the endless sequence of births and deaths to which one is otherwise subject.

Taoism
–noun
1. the philosophical system evolved by Lao-tzu and Chuang-tzu, advocating a life of complete simplicity and naturalness and of noninterference with the course of natural events, in order to attain a happy existence in harmony with the Tao.
2. Also called Hsüan Chiao. a popular Chinese religion, originating in the doctrines of Lao-tzu but later highly eclectic in nature and characterized by a pantheon of many gods and by the practice of alchemy, divination, and magic

Hinduism
–noun
the common religion of India, based upon the religion of the original Aryan settlers as expounded and evolved in the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad-Gita, etc., having an extremely diversified character with many schools of philosophy and theology, many popular cults, and a large pantheon symbolizing the many attributes of a single god. Buddhism and Jainism are outside the Hindu tradition but are regarded as related religions.

Jainsim
–noun
a dualistic religion founded in the 6th century b.c. as a revolt against current Hinduism and emphasizing the perfectibility of human nature and liberation of the soul, esp. through asceticism and nonviolence toward all living creatures.
Back to top Go down
Arimesis

Arimesis

Male
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions   How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:14 am

I have a friend and ex-coworker, Somjit, who came to the US from Laos. Som is a Buddhist who also believes in and practices magick. He believes in possession and curses and once came to me for a spell to help his sister who was under the control of another. He believes that his prowess as a fighter is magickally enhanced and that he cannot be harmed in a fight. He also believes that if he is injured, he will heal instantly and that he can control and stop bleeding at will.

Some of the taboos in his belief may seem silly to us, but he is very, very serious about his practices. He will not eat red meat unless completely well done. He will not sleep in the same bed with his wife while she is menstruating. He will not walk under a clothes line. He believes that to do any of these will diminish his power.
Back to top Go down
ryeto

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-06-01

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions   How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 7:49 pm

i was misinformed and decided to become a druid thinking it was something else but due to
a little research the beliefs i wanted to adopt and being a druid are completely different and
what it was was Taoism because before i even heard of either of these my beliefs were set
Back to top Go down
Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

Male
Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions   How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 8:17 pm

I was in the same boat. I wanted to join the OBDO. Then I did a lot of looking into it, and saw that it wasn't something that I wanted right now. I know that it was part of my heritage, and that there are lots of things in it that I respect, and use. But it really wasn't for me. *shrugs*

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions   How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Dictionary.com Defines A Few Eastern Religions
Page 1 of 1